5 Easy SEO Tips for your Blog or Website :
- Get quality backlinks. Links to your blog from other websites is possibly the best way to improve you organic ranking in Google. What bloggers can do for their own sites is to make sure that they are adding links to their blog from networks where they are active. For instance, make sure you are including a link to your blog from your Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts. This is the easiest way to get incoming links, but getting other websites to link to you is huge. And remember, the quality of the site linking to you does matter. You want high quality sites linking to you because they will have the biggest positive effect on your ranking.
- Use the keyword tool. One question that a lot of new bloggers ask when they join us in BlogCatalog is, “How do I drive more traffic to my site?” There are a lot of ways to answer this question, but my favorite is: write about topics people are searching for. This isn’t to say a health blogger should start writing about Lindsay Lohan’s incarceration just because it’s a hot topic, but bloggers can do a search to see what terms are being searched for most within their niche. So, how do you get your hands on this information? It’s easy. Just go to the Google Keyword tool and plug in a search term that is related for your topic. For instance, if your write about yoga, then plug in the term yoga, or yoga mats, or yoga stretches. Then, do a search and you will get a list of results showing you what related terms people are searching for most across the web.Now you have the keyword information. What do you do with it? Well, you can write posts based on the terms people are searching for and improve your chances of your posts coming up in search results. You can also use these keywords in your post title, title tags, meta description, meta tags, headlines and links. Using popular keywords in these place can help search engines identify what your post is about and pull it up in searches.
- Post regularly. It’s true that posting regularly to a blog is one of the biggest challenges bloggers face. If you want to be successful and you want to drive traffic to your site, however, you need to post regularly. There are a couple of reasons this is important. First, readers who are interested in what you’re writing will probably stop coming by if there is nothing new to read. Second, Google and other search engines will reward sites that have regularly updated content.
- Run an analytics program on your site. The most commonly used is Google analytics. If you’re serious about driving traffic to your site, then having a grasp of how people are finding you now, where they are coming from and what they are looking for will make it much easier to determine the best strategy for getting more people to find you and visit your site. Websites like Pear Analytics can also be very helpful. Pear Analytics allows you to plug your site’s URL into a search field and in 30 seconds it gives you a full report on everything you’re doing right and wrong on your site when it comes to SEO factors.
- Have an XML sitemap. Some of you may be asking “What is an XML sitemap?” Well it is basically an index of all the pages on your website that tells search engines like Google what pages are present, which ones have recently changed and which ones the search engine should crawl. It simply makes it easier for search engines to crawl and index your site. (*For those of you who are a bit more technical and want to go a step further, you could upload a robots.txt file to your site too.)
ref : blogcatalog.com